|Scope & Content||
Letter from Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co., manufacturers of polished plate glass, also rough glass for floors and sky lights, Creighton, Pa., May 4th, 1886. Also mentioned is beveled plate glass and beveled mirrors made to order, any size or shape. The letterhead lists Edward Ford, President, Jno. Pitcairn, Jr., Vice President, John F. Scott, Treasurer, and E. L. Ford, Secretary. The letter is signed by E. L. Ford.
The letterhead includes the following statement:
The entire factory, including the melting furnaces, annealing ovens, steam boilers, etc., etc., is run by and heated with natural gas, supplied from wells owned by the company; and being the only plate glass manufacturers in the world utilizing this wonderful production of nature, we are enabled, owing to its extraordinary heating power, together with its absolute freedom from sulphur and all other impurities, to produce an article which cannot be surpassed. Glass annealed by this gas, being better tempered, is not so liable to break, and will prove more durable. No coal of any kind is used in our words.
Pitcairn, John, Jr.
Scott, John F.
Ford, E. L.